It's interior shows the oldest fresco in the entire German speaking Europe. These pre-Carolingian fresco dated round about the 7th/8th century was discovered only in 1923. In the 12th century a Romanesque tower was added to the building and at the end of the 14th century the church was heightened and the interior decorated with Gothic fresco, as well as the southern outside wall painted.
The depiction of a saint who sits on a rope as though sitting on a swing. This depiction is commonly referred to as the “Schaukler” (swinger) and is located on the Southern wall. It probably shows St. Proculus of Verona, the bishop, who was expelled in the 14th century by the heathen governor. The west wall shows a herd of cattles, because St. Proculus was meant to be the protector of livestock.
The warm colours of these fresco contrasst the rather cool colours of the Nordic style fresco on the east wall, which wA probably created by a different artist:
The St. Proculus museum is located almost directly opposite the church. It was opened to the public in 2006: The exhibition shows four periods: Late antiquity, the early medieval period, the Gothic period and the period of the plague. Apart from many exhibits – such as the reconstructed parts of a plague cemetery, or fresco taken from the wall of St. Proculus – video projections give you a glimpse of the past.
St. Proculus Church and Museum
The church of St. Proculus located at the entrance of the village of Naturns, is one of the best examples for South Tyrolean architectual history.